Thursday, July 18, 2019

The Arms of Orion vs. Hallo Spaceboy (12" Remix)


Song:  The Arms of Orion
Album:  Batman
Year:  1989

All Music calls this song "embarrassingly enjoyable sappy mainstream balladry" and that's exactly what it is.  Written by Sheena Easton, it's her thoughts of two lovers looking up at the same constellation and dreaming of being together.  Easton duets with Prince on this one and their voices blend beautifully.  I don't recall this song from the movie and don't believe I've ever listened to it beyond my first exposure to the album 30 years ago - Batman is just not the album people have in mind when they think of Prince.  I was prepared to hate this song when it popped up for this project.  Instead, I have the feeling it's going to become a guilty pleasure that I'll throw into random playlists just for fun.

Verdict:  3/5 stars

Would I sing it at karaoke?  Yes, but it would have to be a bar full of Prince fans familiar with his deep cuts.




Song:  Hallo Spaceboy - 12" Remix
Album:  1. Outside
Year:  1995

A dance remix of the album cut featuring the Pet Shop Boys on additional vocals and, according to Neil Tennant, an unofficial third chapter to the Major Tom saga.  (Well, fourth chapter if you consider Peter Schilling's Major Tom (Coming Home)).  I'm a casual fan of the Pet Shop Boys and like what they've done here, from the dance mix to their additional vocals, it's a nice vibe and I could see myself grooving to it back at The Shelter or Industry in mid-90s Chicago.  In fact I may have done just that . . . who knows . . . it was the 90s and it's all a bit blurry.

Verdict:  4/5 stars

Would I sing it at karaoke?  Sure, but like Arms of Orion it'd have to be a Bowie crowd in the mood to dance.

Verdict:  Hallo Spaceboy - 12" Remix

Running Score:  Bowie 8, Prince 6

No comments:

Post a Comment