Friday, September 13, 2019

Deconstruction vs. Alabama Song (Aufstieg Und Fall Der Stadt Mahagonny)


Song:  Deconstruction
Album:  The Rainbow Children
Year:  2001

From the top of his game in my last post to the deepest depths of his lows in this one, I give to you the utter mess that is Deconstruction from the album that seems specifically designed to turn you off of Prince forever.  This track leads off with that stupid electronically slowed-down and deepened voice.  I don't know if this is supposed to be referencing the fall from grace or the literal destruction of the world, and frankly I don't care.  The solo guitar work in the latter half of the track is decent, but overall this is just a hot mess.

Verdict:  1/5 stars

Would I sing it at karaoke?  I hope to never mention it again, much less sing it!



Song:  Alabama Song (Aufstieg Und Fall Der Stadt Mahagonny)
Album:  Stage
Year:  1978

Egad!  The tale of this song is so convoluted and boring that I don't even want to get into it.  Alabama Song is an English translation of a 1925 song by German playwright/poet Bertolt Brecht.  The Doors recorded a version in 1966 and Bowie started incorporating the song on tour in 1978.  It was released as a single a year later, presumably only selling due to the stripped-down B-Side of Space Oddity.  The song itself is far too theater-y for my tastes.  Jarring with odd key and tempo changes, I imagine Bowie must have had a good time singing it but it sure isn't anything I want to hear.  Simply not his strongest moment.

Verdict:  1/5 stars

Would I sing it at karaoke?  Not a chance.

Winner:  I dislike both of these songs but am giving it to Alabama Song simply because the subject matter is not as blatantly discriminatory as the pseudo-religion upon which Deconstruction is based.

Running Score:  Bowie 26, Prince 17




Palate cleanser . . .


It's not what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment