Friday, October 18, 2019

Incense and Candles vs. When I Live My Dream


Song:  Incense and Candles
Album:  3121
Year:  2006

Auto-tuned Prince is unnecessary but somehow works here.  Dirty sexy OG Prince has been updated for the 00's giving us a more mature seduction jam, though with the familiar material tropes (incense, candles, diamonds, etc.).  This shouldn't work, but it does.  Well done Prince.

Verdict:  4/5 stars

Would I sing it at karaoke?  Only if I could auto-tune myself.



Song:  When I Live My Dream
Album:  David Bowie
Year:  1967

This early Bowie stuff is always difficult for me to get into.  The musical arrangements are SO not rock & roll and the lyrics are sometimes difficult to unpack.  If only these lyrics had more depth to them.  I don't need to hear this again.

Verdict:  1/5 stars

Would I sing it at karaoke?  Good lord no.

Winner:  Incense and Candles

Running Score:  Bowie 32, Prince 20


Bonus . . . 

Was thrilled to find a new release by La Santa Cecilia amidst the pop dreck of a typical new music Friday.


No comments:

Post a Comment