Thursday, October 17, 2019

Satisfied - Live vs. Bring Me the Disco King - Live


Song:  Satisfied - Live
Album:  Indigo Nights / Live Sessions
Year:  2008

A live track from an album of live after-show performances from 2007, this particular track from Prince's 2006 album 3121.  It's typical of live Prince tracks, which I am finding are somewhat rambling and self-indulgent.  I don't necessarily have a problem with rambling, self-indulgent live tracks but a steady diet of them tends to wear thin.  This one starts as a slow burn for 2 1/2 minutes with some banter to the audience before the main lyrics kick in.  Another couple minutes in the saxophone rages into a solo and everything stays at a crescendo until the song ends.  Vocals are strong and the keyboards provide a solid foundation (though I would have liked to have heard a keyboard solo too).  I'm of mixed opinion on this one.  I like it well enough but it tends to get lost in the overall volume of live tracks that have suddenly been made available to the casual Spotify listener.  That being said, if I were to make a playlist of the best live Prince tracks I would likely include this one.

Verdict:  3.5/5 stars

Would  I sing it at karaoke?  I simply don't have the vocal prowess for such an undertaking.


Song:  Bring Me the Disco King - Live
Album:  A Reality Tour
Year:  2004

This live recording from Bowie's 2003 release Reality, like the Prince track above, is a slow burn.  Unlike the Prince track, it maintains that slow burn and showcases an excellent jazz piano performance by Mike Garson who, unsurprisingly once you listen closely, was the pianist on Bowie's 1973 song Aladdin Sane.  I like this track quite a bit and appreciate how it fits into the larger scale and pace of a live performance.  Not every number needs to be a powerhouse on the part of the main performer, and this one allows Bowie to provide some vocals which I'd guess are less challenging and allow his voice to recover a bit while allowing the other talent in the band to shine through.  His restraint is an excellent counterpoint to the bravado that Prince brings to his live tracks.  I say counterpoint because both approaches are valid and have their merit; Bowie's approach to this track works perfectly for this track.  I could see including this number in a jazz playlist, also strategically  placed to slow the tempo after something  more frantic.

Verdict:  4/5 stars

Would I sing it at karaoke?  You know, I just might!

Winner:  Bring Me The Disco King

Running Score:  Bowie 32, Prince 19


And speaking of live performance, restraint and power . . . I offer this incredible throwback as my next karaoke undertaking.  (OK, so Lou Rawls is lip synching this one, but Soul Train from the 1970s is always worth watching).


No comments:

Post a Comment